A Partnership between Ivy Tech Community College and Indiana University
Want to earn a certificate with your degree that shows your future employers that you have the ability to think globally? Many U.S. businesses are expanding their operations into different areas of the world, so you are very likely to interact with people from other countries and cultures on the job. A Global Learning Certificate may be just what you are looking for!
Ivy Tech faculty members have worked together to redesign curriculum for some of Ivy Tech's business, education, humanities, healthcare, technology and life science courses. These areas are some of Indiana's biggest high-growth sectors of the economy and areas where you need to be able to think critically and in terms of global perspectives and competencies. With the Global Learning Certificate you can apply your knowledge in your own community, throughout the state of Indiana, and around the world!
This certificate will teach you about thriving in a global workforce and how to succeed in a diverse society, which are skills valued in today's competitive job market. You will also have the opportunities for exposure to different cultures through supplemental education experiences, such as studying abroad or taking part in international activities on your campus. A Global Studies Certificate will increase your knowledge and awareness the world and will make you more marketable in finding a job.
The Global Learning Across Indiana Initiative: An Overview
The Global Learning Across Indiana Initiative is funded by the U.S. Department of Education’s Undergraduate International Studies and Foreign Language (UISFL) program. Ivy Tech has been partnering with the Center for the Study of Global Change at Indiana University since January 2013 in this three-year initiative for the internationalization of the Ivy Tech curriculum and the development of a Global Learning Certificate which will be available at Ivy Tech campuses throughout the state. There are four main components of the initiative:
- Ivy Tech faculty, staff, and administrators will develop a system-wide Global Studies Certificate, consisting of a variety of internationalized and foreign language courses, and an experiential global learning component.
- A core group of Ivy Tech faculty and staff will attend regular professional development workshops to support them in the process of internationalization of select courses across all regions. Two workshops will be held each semester and each summer during the three years of the project.
- Ivy Tech will offer two semesters of Arabic language instruction, working in collaboration with the Center for the Study of the Middle East at Indiana University.
- Ivy Tech faculty and administrators will create benchmarks and assessments to measure progress and outcomes of the initiative, while also developing outreach and marketing to raise awareness of the new Global Studies Certificate.
Global Learning Across Indiana was originally developed in response to “Accelerating Greatness 2013.” Strategy Two included the objectives of strengthening cultural diversity, global awareness, and international competitiveness among faculty, staff and students. Global Learning Across Indiana represents a strategic expansion and will allow Ivy Tech to work toward its objectives of strengthening cultural diversity, global awareness and international competitiveness among faculty, staff and students.
Emphasis for this program will be placed on courses from the fields of business, education, healthcare, technology, and the life sciences—high-growth sectors of the economy and areas in which students critically need global perspectives and competencies.
According to Smith and Czarra (2003), “Global education should provide students with the information and intellectual tools – coupled with the willingness to use them – that enable them to function as competent American citizens in a complex and rapidly changing international environment."
For more information, please contact:
The Global Studies Certificate at Ivy Tech
Global Learning Across Indiana represents a strategic expansion and will allow Ivy Tech to work toward its objectives of strengthening cultural diversity, global awareness and international competitiveness among faculty, staff and students. Focus on Student Success 2025, an expanded strategic plan for Ivy Tech, focuses staff, faculty, students and stakeholders on supporting student success. The Global Learning Across Indiana Initiative will be important in helping Ivy Tech meet those objectives by intentionally providing our students with the tools and skills needed to function effectively in today’s global society.
One of the four main components of the initiative is for Ivy Tech faculty, administrators, and staff to develop a system-wide Global Studies Certificate, consisting of a variety of internationalized courses, an experiential global learning component, and a capstone project.
At the South Bend campus, development of their Global Studies Certificate started in 2009 with an initiative from the administration to provide global education to Ivy Tech students with idea of preparing them for increasingly global workplace demands. They began with global and international information events and then formed an international committee in 2010 to develop a global studies certificate and the creation of G-modules. In 2011 the Global Studies certificate began to be offered, and Capstone projects are now being completed and presented from the students who have earned the Global Studies Career Development Certificate at the South Bend campus.
The main elements of the Global Studies Certificate are:
- Global Studies orientation meeting
- 15 credits of global-module courses, many of which are already within the 2-year curriculum
- United States Institute of Peace certification (online course)
- Book review and discussion (Cultural Intelligence: A Guide to Working with People from Other Cultures by Brooks Peterson)
- Speaker/lecture presentations
- Global/international resume
- Global Studies capstone experience
A Global Certificate Committee has been formed, which will meet periodically to review the various requirements for the current GLCs and develop one set of standards and/or requirements for a statewide certificate which will be available to earn at all Ivy Tech regions by 2015.