|When you don't know where to turn for
answers, the ombudsman/student advocate is here to
|North Meridian Campus, North
Meridian Center, Room 430
|Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
|First and third Tuesday of every month,
Room F139, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
|What is an ombudsman/student
|"Ombudsman" is a Swedish word meaning
"representative." At Ivy Tech Community
College-Central Indiana, the ombudsman advocate is a
neutral party who works with students to resolve issues
|What does the ombudsman/student advocate
The ombudsman/student advocate . . .
- acts as a liaison between the student and faculty
- explains and clarifies College policies and helps
the students navigate the system
- provides a confidential, respectful and safe
setting for the student to discuss issues an concerns
related to the classroom or College procedures
- listens to the student and assists the student in
evaluating an assessing options for solving the
- provides information and resources available to
the student or can make referrals for the
|When should a student go to the
When you . . .
- don't know where to start
- feel you are getting the "runaround"
- have not been able to resolve your issue no
matter what you try
- need advice on College policies and
|The ombudsman/student advocate does not . .
- participate in the formal grievance process
- determine "guilt " or "innocence" of those
accused of wrongdoing
- assign sanctions to individuals
- guarantee that everything will work out to the
- have any decision-making authority and cannot
tell any staff member, administrator, or faculty
member what to do