Black History Month
In 2012, Ivy Tech Community College celebrated Black History Month with a series of events at its campuses statewide. More than 28 events hosted at various campuses took place to honor this special day.
- February 24, 11 a.m., Diversity Luncheon.
- February 9, Noon, Student Commons, Indiana University African-American Dance Company performance.
- February 16, Noon, Room C-132, a diversity panel discussion featuring Eric Love, Director of the Indiana University Office of Diversity Education. The panel will discuss the topic of "Why Black History Month is Still Relevant"
- February 9, noon, Poling Hall Room 200, Emmy Award winning reporter Daniel Miller will speak. A light lunch will be provided.
- February 28, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Poling Hall Room 217, “Wake Up the Dreamer!” presented by Jarvis Cooper.
- February 22, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Student Commons, the Ivy Tech Diversity Activities Committee will sponsor "Taste of Ages" featuring a variety of soul food items to sample.
Fort Wayne Campus
- February 9, 5 to 7 p.m. North Campus Student Life Building Room SL513, will feature "Desegregation vs. Integration: American Society 55 Years after the Little Rock Nine." The evening will feature a screening of the HBO Documentary "Little Rock Central: 50 Years later", with a post-film discussion led by Joy Giguere, assistant professor of history.
- February 16, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. North Campus, Student Life Gymnasium, Black History Month Celebration including food, poetry, music and more.
- February 23, Noon (CST), Multipurpose Room, Speaker Quentin P. Smith, Tuskegee Airman.
- February 28, Noon (CST), Multipurpose Room, Master Illusionist Walter King, Jr. will present "The Legacy of Black Musicians".
- February 8, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Illinois-Fall Creek Center Food Court, Brown Bag Lunch Series discussion "Black Women Olympians."
- February 16, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Lawrence Campus, Brown Bag Lunch Series discussion "Black Women Olympians."
- February 24, noon to 2 p.m. North Meridian Center Auditorium, Author and TV Host Toure.
- February 20, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Illinois-Fall Creek Center, Black History Month Celebration.
- February 7, Noon-2 p.m., Ivy Hall Room 1112, Viewing of the documentary "Eyes on the Prize: America's Civil Rights Years Parts III and IV: Ain't Scared of Your Jails, No Easy Walk"
- February 8, 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., Ivy Hall Room 1112, Viewing of the documentary "Eyes on the Prize: America's Civil Rights Years Parts V and VI: This America and Bridge to Freedom."
- February 9, 1:30 to 3:15 p.m., Ivy Hall Room 1112, Viewing of the documentary "4 Little Girls: The Story of Four Young Girls Who Paid the Price for a Nation's Ignorance."
- February 13, 3:30-5:30 p.m., Ivy Hall Room 1120, Viewing of the documentary "Freedom Riders: Could you get on the bus?"
- February 14, 3 to 4:30 p.m., Ivy Hall Room 1120, Viewing of the documentary "Prom Night in Mississippi."
- February 15, 12:30-2 p.m., Ivy Hall Room 1120, Viewing of the documentary "Soundtrack for a Revolution: Every Generation Finds Its Voice."
- February 16, 3 to 4:30 p.m., Ivy Hall Room 1120, Viewing of the documentary "With All Deliberate Speed: A Look at the Landmark Brown Vs. the Board of Education."
- February 21, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Lecture Hall, Jean-Robert Cadet, an advocate for children enslaved in the Haitian Restavek system, will speak.
- February 17, Johnson Hall, Michael Fosberg will present his autobiographical play Incognito.
- February 15, 12:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m, Horseshoe Auditorium of Olge Hall, "I Have a Dream" speech.
- A limited number of tickets are available for the Ali Center in Louisville, KY.
South Bend Campus
- Black History Month Trivia Game.
- Talent Show
- Taste of Soul Food luncheon.
- Apollo Theater night in partnership with St. Mary's College.
Terre Haute Campus
- The campus has invited students to participate in a Black History Month YouTube Contest. Students have been asked to create a video describing what Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech means to them and enter for a chance to win a $1,000 scholarship. Deadline to submit videos and an official entry form is available atwww.ivytech.edu/wabashvalley/youtube.
- February 16, 11 a.m. (CST), Campus Auditorium, a performance by the African Descendant Society of Gary, Indiana.