Getting Started

Getting Started

In addition to the process required to utilize your education benefits, you must also complete Ivy Tech’s enrollment process.


Complete a Free Application for Admission


Ready to take the first step? You can complete a free online application today, or fill out a paper version at your local campus. Once you have submitted your application, Ivy Tech Community College will send a letter welcoming you. However, due to the uncertainties associated with postal mail, do not wait to receive this letter before taking the next step.


Contact Ivy Tech’s Veterans Affairs Office and meet with a School Certifying Official (SCO) and/or Veterans Affairs Coordinator (VACO)


The SCO/VACO is the person who works directly with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to submit your enrollment for GI Bill® payments. They are also aware of other educational benefits and can help guide you through your education process. For a list of VACO contacts, visit our Contact Us page.


Apply for Education Benefits


Education benefits—like the GI Bill®, tuition assistance and state grants—are highly individualized and one size does not fit all. In order to be fully aware of what benefits you have for your education, apply for your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. There are two generalizations to all benefits: you have to apply to use them and the process requires plenty of lead time. For more information on all the benefits available, please visit the Know Your Benefits page.


Submit Your Transcripts


All GI Bill® recipients are required to submit a copy of their Official Military Transcript for evaluation to determine if credit for prior military experience can be awarded. With the exception of some Coast Guard members, anyone with prior military service can apply for his or her military transcript. This should be done before a student begins his or her second semester of classes to prevent the interruption of educational benefits. The Veteran Services Office can assist you with submitting electronic copies direct to Ivy Tech.


Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)


Depending on the educational benefit you intend to use, you may be required to have a completed FAFSA. Your FAFSA must be received by the federal processor on or before March 10 to be considered for state aid. If you are selected for Verification, you will be required to complete a Verification Worksheet and other financial forms before aid can be processed or disbursed. Make sure you turn in all required forms to avoid processing delays. The earlier you submit your information, the more likely you are to receive aid. It is recommended that you complete your federal income tax return before filling out your FAFSA. Fill out your FAFSA now. Once you’ve completed your FAFSA, a Student Aid Report (SAR) will be generated by the U.S. Department of Education. You must include the Ivy Tech Community College school code (009917) to ensure we receive an electronic copy.


Complete new student orientation


All new, degree-seeking students are required to complete new student orientation immediately following their acceptance to Ivy Tech. New student orientation includes a general college overview, explanation of the student intake process, college resources, technology awareness, student rights and responsibilities, goal/academic plan setting, an overview of college policies and procedures. Orientation can be completed online in a 30-minute interactive video.


Complete your assessment


The assessment can be measured through PSAT, SAT or ACT scores, cumulative high school GPA, previous college credit, or by taking a test called ACCUPLACER. Learn more about completing the assessment.


Meet your academic advisor and register for classes


Quality academic advising plays a key role in your success as a student. Your academic advisor possesses a wealth of knowledge and will assist you in selecting and registering for classes. Your education benefits may have restrictions that your advisor is not aware of. It is helpful to meet with your campus’s School Certifying Official to verify enrollment plans. Visit our Advising page for more information.